The "Paleatus" Group
The number of species falling into this category has over the past couple of years increased quite dramatically.
The list includes: -
- C. paleatus.
- C. carlae. Argentina, Prov. Missiones, Rio Iguazu drainage.
- C. diphyes. Paraguay: Departamento Caaguaz; Rio Paran drainage.
- C. longipinnis. CW003
- C. marmoratus. (Still considered a synonym of C. paleatus, but has distinctive black ventral and anal fins).
- C. steindachneri. Brazil, State of Paraná, Paranaguá.
- C. sp C007
- C. sp C114. Brazil, Paraná near Curitibá.
- C. sp CW024
There are two other species that may be considered as belonging to this group based on colour pattern:
- C. defluviatilis. Brazil, State of Sáo Paulo and Minas Gerais. Rio Paraná and the upper Rio Sio Francisco-basin
- C. garbei. Brazil, states of Bahia and Minas Gerais, Rio Săo Francisco drainage.